[Bilimsel Haber] PUBL.- Veiled Women in Azerbaijan: Gender, Islam and Modernity

Sule Tarakcioglu suletar@kulturad.org
Wed, 08 Mar 2006 12:06:30 +0200


From: Farid Guliyev <fareedaz@yahoo.com>

PUBL.- Veiled Women in Azerbaijan: Gender, Islam and Modernity

Veiled Women in Azerbaijan: Gender, Islam and Modernity

by Yuliya Gureyeva

Submitted to Central European University Department of Gender Studies

In partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Arts

First Supervisor: Professor Meltem Ahiska
Second Supervisor: Professor Jasmina Lukic
Budapest, Hungary 2003

To read the full-text paper visit:

http://gender-az.org/shablon_en.shtml?doc/en/library/reserch/gureeva

Abstract

In this thesis I examine the phenomenon of voluntary veiling in the 
context of
post-Soviet Azerbaijan. This new trend occurred after 1991, when there 
was an
ideological void after the collapse of the Soviet Union and different
ideologies, such as Turkism, Azerbaijanism and Islamism were competing for
hegemony. What I call as "new veiling" or part of the Islamic revival has
created the great controversies in Azeri society, which reached their 
peak in
the conflict between the veiled women and the state officials.

In my study I show the complexity of the meaning assigned to veiling in it
relation with modernity.  Objecting to the dichotomous conception of 
veiling in
the traditional/modern framework, that equates modernity with Western 
culture, I
explore the dynamics of veiling from a perspective that is informed by the
theory of "alternative modernities".

Furthermore, the aim of my research is to analyze "new veiling" from a
feminist perspective giving women a voice. Women's own narratives regarding
their choice of veiling reveal their agency in renegotiating the norms
established for them by the patriarchal society.

Table of contents

Abstract

Acknowledgments

Table of Contents

Introduction

I. Veiling as a Modern Tradition

1.1. Veiling Within Dichotomies

1.2. Veil as a Sign of Modernity

Conclusion

2. Politicization of Veil

2.1. Muslim Dress Code

2.2 Veiled Women and Islamic Movements

2.2.1 Revolutionary Veil

2.2.2. Forbidden Veil

Conclusion

3. 'Our Headscarf Is Our Honor'

3.1. Femininity and Veiling in Azerbaijan

3.2. Methodology

3.3. Veiled Women's Choices

3.3.1. Why to Veil?

3.3.2. Knowing Islam

3.3.3. Veil and Honour

3.3.4 Veiling and Women's Generations

3.3.5. Establishing Solidarity

3.3.6. Veiling and Modernity

3.3.7. Final remarks

Conclusion

Conclusion

Reference List

Appendix I

Appendix II





Distrib. by: Central-Eurasia-L - Announcement List for Central Eurasian 
Studies