[Bilimsel Haber] Tombstone Studies in Islamic societies

Gonul Pultar gpultar at kulturad.org
23 Şub 2009 Pzt 07:22:36 EET


*Tombstone Studies in Islamic societies


*Dear Colleagues,

It has been more than fifty years since Islamic epigraphists, 
historians, and Archaeologists of Islamic Art have worked on tombstones 
and cemeteries of Islamic societies and countries all around the world.

Until today, “Cimetières et Traditions Funéraires dans le Monde 
Islamique”, edited by BACQUE-GRAMMONT, J.-L. and TIBET, A. (1991), is 
one of the only reference books on this topic. After the conference 
which was at the origins of this edited book, there have not been any no 
more international seminars, conferences or symposiums in which 
tombstones in the Islamic world have been specifically discussed. As far 
as I know, today there are no special research groups, units or even 
research projects with a special interest in tombstone studies of 
Islamic societies and countries. When I say special, I mean projects in 
which we work specifically on funeral epigraphy, interpretation of 
epitaphs, motifs and images, fabrication techniques, and also the lives 
of tombstone sculptors.

With this in mind, I think that the creation of an international 
academic network focusing on this field of research is essential.

In creating such a networking we can form:

- A list of academics who work on this topic;
- A reference bibliography;
- An online database entry for tombstone studies in Islamic societies 
and countries;
- Seminars, conferences and programmes focusing on this field of research.

I would appreciate it if you could share your ideas and comments with 
me. Please contact me at: pedram.khosronejad at st-andrews.ac.uk.

Yours sincerely,

Pedram Khosronejad

--
Dr. Pedram Khosronejad
Department of Social Anthropology
71 North Street
University of St. Andrews
St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland KY16 9AL
UK

Tel: +44 (1334) 461968
Fax: +44 (1334) 462985
Email: pedram.khosronejad at st-andrews.ac.uk





More information about the BilimselHaber mailing list