[Discussion] From: Lara Blanchard <blanchard@hws.edu>

Paksoy, Hb hb.paksoy@ttu.edu
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:28:20 -0500


From: Lara Blanchard <blanchard@hws.edu>
Subject: TEACHING RELIGIOUS STUDIES series


I forward the message below on behalf of a colleague in Religious Studies at
Hobart & William Smith Colleges who is not a member of H-ASIA.

Lara C. W. Blanchard, Ph.D.
Henry Luce Assistant Professor of East Asian Art
Hobart and William Smith Colleges


> Dear Colleagues:
>
> I am the series editor for a group of books published
> by Oxford Univesity Press for the American Academy of Religion. The
> series is called "TEACHING RELIGIOUS STUDIES." Each volume is an edited
> collection of pieces on teaching -- standing at the cusp of teaching
> and scholarship -- and is organized around a text, theme, theory, or
> tradition in the academci study of religion. Volumes under
> consideration, about to be published and/or under contract include:
>
> TEACHING DURKHEIM
> TEACHING THE TAO TE CHING
> TEACHING FREUD
> TEACHING AFRICAN AMERICAN RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE
> TEACHING DIVERSITY
> TEACHING ISLAM
> TEACHING WOMEN AND RELIGION
>
> And I am having conversations about volumes on teaching ritual and
> teaching new religious movements. I would appreciate it if you would
> circulate this information to any listservs you participate in -- and
> let folks know that if they have any interest in putting together a
> volume around the teaching of a topic, text, theorist, etc in the
> academic study of religion, I would love to hear from them. My email
> address is henking@hws.edu
>
> Topics might include:
>
> TEACHING SCHLIEREMACHER
> TEACHING WEBER
> TEACHING JUNG
> TEACHING SHINTO
> TEACHING  MYSTICISM
> TEACHING PRIMAL RELIGIONS
> TEACHING KANT ON RELIGION
> TEACHING CATHOLICISM
> TEACHING TORAH/OLD TESTAMENT
> TEACHNG ERIKSON
> TEACHING MALINOWSKI
> TEACHING TILLICH
>
> I am, of course, open to discussion of many topics and just include
> these as illustrative -- to indicate that the range is large -- as long
> as the imagined audience is a reasonably large one.
>
> Thanks for circulating this.
>
> Susan Henking