<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.6000.16609" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=Garamond size=4><FONT size=4>
<P>Bilkent University Seminar Series on Polity, Society and the World invites to
a seminar talk featuring</P>
<P>Prof. SURAIYA FAROQHI: "Everyday Life in the Ottoman Empire: 18th Century
Craftsmen in Istanbul"</P>
<P>Friday 28 March 2008 at 14.30 in C-Block Auditorium</P>
<P>Suraiya Faroqhi is Professor of Ottoman Studies at the Ludwig Maximilians
University in Munich (now retired) and Professor of History at Bilgi University
in Istanbul. She has written extensively on various aspects of Ottoman history,
and is the author of The Ottoman Empire and the World Around It (London: I.B.
Tauris, 2004) and Subjects of the Sultan: Culture and Daily Life in the Ottoman
Empire (London: I.B. Tauris, 2005). A volume with the title Artisans of Empire:
Crafts and Craftsmen Under the Ottomans will be published by I.B. Tauris
hopefully in 2009.</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>